Hazardous Waste and Electronics Disposal

Always Recycle and Dispose of Hazardous Materials and Electronics Properly

New Hanover County wants you to responsively recycle hazardous waste and electronics, The County provides, at no cost, a mobile household hazardous waste unit called HazWagon. The HazWagon is regularly stationed at four locations throughout the week – Ogden Park, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach and Kure Beach. The HazWagon locations and times are listed below. You can find more information about materials accepted and recycling options on New Hanover County’s website:


Mobile HazWagon Hours are 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. at the following locations:

Mondays at Ogden Park (near the baseball fields)
Wednesdays at Wrightsville Beach Municipal Complex
Fridays at the Carolina Beach Mike Chappell Park (in the south side of the park across from the tennis courts)
First Saturday of each month at Kure Beach Town Hall

*Note: No more than 10 gallons of liquid waste and no more than two TVs can be brought to the HazWagon at a time.

CAUTION: When storing chemicals in temporary containers, always mark the container with a description of the contents. This will help you avoid accidentally mixing potentially reactive chemicals and helps keep our attendants safe.

Accepted Hazardous Materials:

Acids (bowl cleaners, driveway cleaners, etc.)
Batteries – including alkaline, zinc-carbon, zinc-air, lithium, sealed lead-acid, and any type of rechargeable battery (NiMH, Ni-Cad, Li-Ion, etc.)
Caustics (drain cleaners, lye, borax)
CDs, DVDs, and VHS tapes
Cell phones (including chargers, batteries, and ear buds)
Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFL), Tubes and Bulbs from residential properties only (Maximum 8′ length on CFL tubes)
Cooking Oil
Electronics (“if it has an electrical cord or runs off of batteries, we’ll take it!”). NOTE: we will accept a maximum of ten (10) large electronic items (television sets, monitors, or CPUs) per week, per customer. We do NOT accept “stripped” televisions or computers. If you live within the city limits of Wilmington, you have the option to call 341-7875 to schedule a curbside pickup of your unwanted electronics.
Food waste (unpackaged)
Holiday lights
Hoverboards: Residents wishing to turn in self-balancing, two-wheel scooters (a.k.a. “hoverboards”) due to product recalls are encouraged to bring the devices to the Environmental Management administrative office at 3002 U.S. Highway 421 North during normal business hours, Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. A receipt for the device, indicating that it was delivered to a recycling facility, will be prepared and presented to the customer to support reimbursement claims.
Fertilizers – solid or liquid
Flares, road (No projectile/launched flares such as marine flares)
Food Waste (residents can bring unpackaged food waste to the HazWagon or the landfill’s composter)
Gel Fuels (like Sterno)
Helium Tanks (small disposable types only)
Herbicides / Fungicides (weed killer, ground clear)
Household Cleaners (bleach, ammonia, tile/grout cleaners, glass cleaner, disinfectants, all-purpose cleaners, etc.)
Mercury Thermostats and Thermometers
Motor Oil and Oil Filters
Paint – latex and oil-based (solidified paint can be disposed of in the trash and will not be accepted)
Pesticides – solid or liquid
Propane Tanks (20-lb. only)
Sharps (needles)
Smoke Detectors
Solvents (degreasers, parts cleaners, paint thinners)
Stains, varnishes, and sealers